Saturday, February 7, 2009

CHINESE NEW YEAR

25th OF JANUARY

Today was the day before Chinese New Year and just as I woke up I could already hear the thunderous noise of the vacuum cleaner. That meant only one thing; my parents were busy at work cleaning the untidy house in preparation for tonight’s reunion dinner. Time flew by and my relatives were at the door at six o’clock. Briskly, my family and I did some last minute cleaning before opening the door.


On the long dining table, were two huge steam boats and various raw foods like, fish ball, squid, scallop, and my favorite, abalone, all ready to be boiled and eaten. In the middle of the table was a fat and juicy suckling pig with a cold dish beside it. We got started right away and began dumping all sorts of food in the steam boat with steaming soup. While we waited for the food to cook, we had entertaining and amusing conversations; talking about funny things that happened to us and what school was like. On one end of the table sat the teenagers, we had dumped nearly all the raw food at the beginning and were working together to finish it. On the other hand, the older folks finished dinner early as the food was too much for them. We had a traditional steam boat dinner.



Before our stomachs could digest the dinner, there in the center of the dining table stood a fountain oozing with temping, delicious, warm chocolate. Beside the chocolate fondue were freshly cut cold bananas and strawberries along with pump marshmallows. Within seconds we found ourselves at the feasting table again, each arm with a wooden skewer attacking the chocolate fountain. Now, I couldn’t take it anymore and neither could the rest, we stopped forcing ourselves to eat the irresistible chocolate fondue.

Here are some embarrasing pictures of me eating. I look really tired... hehe


My grandparents had been waiting for this moment the entire night; they were sitting beside the mahjong table waiting for the rest eagerly. As the game started, I watched in amazement as my grandmother showed off her mahjong skills. They played to the wee hours of the morning and by then I was asleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home